Detailed 3D Model of Ikea Work Station!

Tinkercad Model of Micke Ikea Desk and Drawer Set

by Daniela Szeoke

For my first assignment in the 3D Object Design course, I chose to create a detailed model of my desk area. I bought this desk and drawer set about 10 years ago at Ikea, and I spend most of my time working in this space. 

The exact models of my desk and drawer are no longer available for purchase and there are no official images of them left online. I included an image of the closest match I could, which is a slightly newer version of the Micke model. This newer version is also unavailable for purchase.



I do all of my homework, digital art, and lectures at my desk; it is a major part of my life. To represent this idea, I personalized my model by including many of the real objects that are currently on my desk. I constructed my computer monitors, mouse, keyboard, storage box, books, and decorations to make the entire model look like a replica of my work area. I also included the flower, assorted decals, HB pencil, and ruler from Tinkercad's Shape Library

Below is are images of the model with and without accessories.


Gary Hustwit's
documentary, Objectified , inspired me to create this model because it showed footage of Ikea products and discussed the idea of "democratization of design". The Micke work station is compatible with this concept because it is accessible, has a practical design, and has several "versions." 

I found it quite interesting that in 10 years, the original model of my desk has become "outdated" and that nearly no trace of it can be found because Ikea has released so many "new" versions since then. New York Times columnist Rob Walker talked in the documentary about how big companies often make useless changes to the appearance of an object to give it a "fresher, newer look." This constant updating of products can be problematic because it enforces the idea that products are better if they're "new" and not actually more practical, better designed, etc.


As I was constructing the model, I thought about Andrew Blauvelt's three ways to look at design. In the documentary, he explained that the first way to look at the design of an object, is to look at it's formal logic. I think that the formal logic of the Micke work station is very straightforward and that it allows each user to personalize it and give it a unique purpose and symbolism.

According to Blauvelt, the second way to look at an object's design is the symbolism it hold and the "the little rituals that make up...a particular object [and that] come back to inhabit and help give form." 

Blauvelt explained that the third way to look at design is in "a contextual sense, in a much bigger-picture-scenario. It's looking at the technological context for that object, it's looking at that human-object relationship. 

These three ways of looking at design compelled me to not only create a replica of my work station, but to represent the "little rituals" related to it; I included the objects that represent the studying and art and architecture-related activities I do at the desk daily. I also wanted to represent the work station in a way that looks like it has been "used," relating to the idea that the it exists is a context and has a human-object relationship.









Detail Shots












Comments

  1. Wow - outstanding! You put a ton of thought, care and TIME into this. Way to set a high bar for the semester :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, I really appreciate your comment! I thoroughly enjoyed this assignment and I learned so much. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts