Papercraft Devil Mask




Th
e Diablos Danzantes de Yare (The Dancing Devils of Corpus Christi) are a set of popular Venezuelan religious festivals held on Corpus Christi, celebrating the presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Artists mak
e the Diablo masks out of papier-maché, and dancers wear them in parades during Carnival season.

In homage to my Venezuelan heritage, I chose to make a geometric papercraft version of the Diablo mask. The reference image I used is an illustration I made for a Latin tarot card series I'm working on.


This visual shows all the deconstructed components required for the assembly of the Diablo mask.





Pictured Above: Front view of the symmetrical mask








The reptilian frills are the simplest part of the model to construct. All that needs to be done is to print each layer on a different coloured paper and glue them on top of each other.








'



The tricoloured bull horn templates are pictured above. The colours are for visualization, they will not be printed onto white sheets. Instead, the designs are meant to be printed on paper that is already coloured.

I am arranging all the forms by colour for when they get printed on the coloured sheets of paper.







Since the eyes have small details such as the white iris and black pupil, I will be layering them on top of each other to ensure that they are supported.



 
Pictured above: the templates for all of the black components of the Diablo mask.





Comments

  1. This looks so great, wow!! - Jayden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jayden! I really appreciate it :) I just checked out your head mask and I think you did a great job as well. Heads/masks are hard, but fun, to sculpt!

      Delete
  2. this looks so awesome, daniela! i love how you took inspiration from one of your own illustrations :)
    - belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belle, I am glad you like it! I'm really interested in seeing how your project turns out, it looks very fun :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts