What Object Should I Reverse Engineer?





I am going to reverse engineer an existing object via 3D modelling in Rhino 7. My first task is to select an object that is complex or made from multiple parts.

I have considered over a dozen options but have narrowed it down to my top four. From there, I will choose one object to recreate digitally.


4. Fibreglass Matador Bongos

I grew up in a very musical house surrounded by Latin guitars and percussion instruments, such as these red bongos. 

The set has many metal features, screws, and bolts that can be accurately recreated in Rhino. The object appears to be a reasonable challenge because it has a few curves on the metallic base. I predict that a render of this object would look very realistic and impressive due to the original fibreglass and metal materials. I have noticed that Rhino recreates smooth, shiny, and metallic textures the best. 



3. Vintage Camera Pencil Sharpener 




My parents gifted me this pencil sharpener that looks like a simplified 1920s Rolleiflex camera. The "Rolleiflex" name is most commonly used to refer to Rollei's premier line of medium format twin lens reflex (TLR) cameras. 

Unlike the real cameras, this pencil sharpener does not include a logo or dozens of knobs and buttons. A few months ago, I took pictures of the sharpener in my home studio and used Photoshop to draw in a Rolleiflex logo for fun.

This sharpener is an excellent object to reverse engineer because it looks as interesting as a camera without having complex internal components. On the inside, it is like a wall-mounted pencil sharpener that grinds the wood. To use this sharpener, the pencil needs to be inserted into the top 'lens' hole and sharpened by spinning a handle on the back. The pencil shavings can be discarded by pulling the bottom half of the camera out.


Since this object is made of plastic and metal, it will look realistic as a Rhino render. If I choose this object, I am curious to see how I will replicate the plastic lenses and ensure that the curvatures are correct.



2. Venezuelan Cuatro



A self-portrait I shot of myself wearing the traditional
Llanera Liqui Liqui while playing the cuatro
Another object I am interested in reverse engineering is a Venezuelan instrument called the 'cuatro,' named after its four strings. It is similar in shape and tuning to the ukulele, but its character, sound, and playing technique is completely different.

The cuatro is present in most Venezuelan folk music, such as in música llanera (music of the plains) and joropo which is played by Venezuelan cowboys and cowgirls. If you're curious to hear the different sounds a cuatro can make, watch this video which is a fusion of joropo and classical music.








While the cuatro may seem like a simple object to recreate, the tuning section has a few reasonably challenging components. The challenge here will be to accurately measure the dimensions and angles of the small metal parts. I will also have to tap into my 2D modelling skills to recreate the pattern around the soundhole. Luckily, I had extra practice in Rhino by doing the 'make these shapes' assignments.


1. H-Frame Studio Easel



Two months ago, I had never owned an easel despite the fact that I've been drawing and painting for over 15 years. When I made the decision to finally purchase one, I did a lot of research to find the easel with the best cost/value ratio. I ended up buying a very versatile beechwood easel made by the brand Meeden. It holds works up to 82" tall, and can tilt to become completely flat. 



When I assembled the easel at home, I imagined myself making a custom easel from start to finish. I saw features on the Meeden model that I really liked and others that I would modify. For example, I liked that the top sliding part could hold really large canvases but I would adjust it so that it can also hold smaller canvases.

I know that small objects were suggested for this project, but I can disassemble the easel and take it to class in parts at a time. 

If I reverse engineer this model, I will have a great starting point for designing my custom easel. I am interested in exploring whether my non-industrial fabrication process can be systematized to a point where multiple easels can inexpensively be made at a time. I found that a lot of the knobs and metal components of the easel can be found for cheap online, and I estimate that making my own easel would be less expensive (excluding labour costs) than buying a new one.

Beyond Van Gogh. 2021. BMO Centre, Calgary, AB.



I went to the Van Gogh exhibit this summer and I fell in love with the easel display at the exit. I find that easels are a very personal and practical way to display works, and I would like to have multiple of them for my own shows.

Typical virtual gallery
Even if the idea to make my own easel doesn't work, I can use the 3D model in virtual gallery displays. I've noticed that a lot of virtual galleries seem flat and lack 3D elements, an easel would prevent that. I predict that by using a 3D easel to hold a 2d work, viewers will feel more immersed in the  digital atmosphere.




Final Thoughts


It is difficult to choose an object to reverse engineer because they all have unique strengths. While some might look more attractive as a 3D model (vintage camera sharpener), others can more easily be fabricated in real life and used for future projects (easel and cuatro). And while some may be more portable (vintage sharpener and cuatro), others are more easily assembled and disassembled (easel and bongos).

I am leaning towards the easel because I can visualize future applications of this project. I like to make works can be revisited and aren't "single-use-only." If the easel ends up not fitting the scope of this project, I will probably choose the cuatro or the vintage camera pencil sharpener.

Nothing is definitive yet so we will find out which object I choose in next week's blogpost!

See you soon :)

Comments

Popular Posts