Parametric Furniture Concept




I thought of many concepts for this project including chair, bench, vessel, room divider, jewelry box, lazy susan, and lamp designs. Since I couldn't decide which concept to go for, I chose to select the one that I needed the most at home.

I chose the room divider, which has been pretty useful for me and my family in the past two years.

My parents and I got Ikea space dividers on Facebook marketplace at the beginning of the lockdown in 2020. I needed one of the dividers to hide my room and bed during Zoom or MS Teams meetings. My parents also needed it for their separate workspaces. Out of all the dividers we came across, the Ikea divider one seemed the most practical and affordable. 

I need another divider to separate my home art studio from the rest of the house. Instead of buying another IKEA divider, I would like to make my own custom wooden design. I found the dimensions of the Ikea divider online and will base my new design off of it.

This would be a good project to use the laser cutter on. Aside from buying wood for the geometric design, I will need to buy light diffusing plastic or special paper for the areas in between. I will also need hinges to hold the panels together.


Preliminary Definition Process Screenshots



I learned how to use the TriGrid object, which ended up becoming the base for the whole design.







The width of the offset can be adjusted to be thicker in the top or the bottom of the pattern.



Once the pattern was complete, I got stuck on how to turn it into a rectangular panel. I'm sure there's a simple way to do this, I probably need to keep messing around with the definition. For the sake of time, I completed the panel in Rhino by copying and using Boolean Split. 



The design and colours were loosely inspired by art deco designs from the 1920s.



Above is a screenshot of the full preliminary definition.


Preliminary Designs












Even though the design looks fairly simple, it was a bit challenging to create. Luckily, I found some tutorials on YouTube which helped me figure it out. I would like to continue exploring other options for this project and seeing what other variations I can create. I'm looking forward to continue working on it!

Comments

Popular Posts