Interactive Artwork Proposal



Summary of Piece


I plan to create a dynamic visual projection that responds to users' interactions with conga drums (or bongos) placed in the gallery. Sensors within the drums will detect input information that will be used to affect the projected visual. In other words, each time a user strikes the drum, the sensor will be triggered, and the projected visual will respond with similar intensity to the hit. The projected visual consists of a static video that plays a few frames each time the drum is hit, encouraging viewers to interact continuously with the piece. I am still considering different options for sensors, video content, and modes of presentation in the gallery.


My intention with this piece is to provide viewers with the opportunity to engage in a lived experience with a Latin percussion instrument. I specifically chose Latin drums, which are not as commonly found in Calgary as other percussion instruments, to invite viewers to immerse themselves in a cross-cultural exchange. Through touching, seeing, and hearing the authentic drums, viewers can sense the object and explore its potential significance as a musical, cultural, and artistic tool. In addition to my cultural intentions, I intend for this piece to present the instrument as a medium for viewers to co-create meaning with the work. 


Inspiration


I am inspired by Camille Utterback’s interactive works Aurora Organ, Potent Objects, Entangled, and see/saw, where she explores the ways viewers can co-create meaning with digital interfaces. I appreciate how Utterback recognizes the viewer and makes their participation necessary for her pieces to function. With this in mind, I plan to make a work that similarly welcomes the viewer.


Camille Utterback. Entangled. 2015.


Elements to Consider

Now that I have a concept, I have to consider the technical elements that are required for this project. More specifically, I will consider the types of sensors, video, and presentation techniques I could use to execute this idea. I have not made definitive decisions yet because I would like to have feedback from my peers and instructor before I proceed.

1. Sensors

I am currently evaluating two options for sensors that I have heard about. It is possible that there are other options that I don’t know yet that could work well for this project.


Option A) Lavalier microphone to detect volume/pitch

A lavalier microphone is a miniature microphone, most often placed on people’s bodies to record them discretely for TV, film, or theatre performance. 


Pros

Cons

  • The microphone could potentially be used to subtly amplify the sound of the drums, giving viewers more of a hyperreal experience.

  • I already own two of these microphones which can be placed discretely inside the drum.

  • I don’t know much about sensing sound, but I think it could be challenging to create a code that can distinguish between the sound of a drum and anything else. If someone were to yell or clap, it could generate unwanted interference on the projected visual.



Option B) Contact microphone to detect audio vibrations


A contact mic is a form of microphone that senses audio vibrations through contact with solid objects. Unlike normal air microphones, contact microphones are almost completely insensitive to air vibrations but transduce only structure-borne sound.


Pros

Cons

  • Using a contact mic will guarantee that only the drum hits (and not other loud noises) are being used to trigger the systems.

  • Contact mics can be inexpensive.

  • I have never used a contact mic before, so there may be challenges to using this sensor that I am unaware of.


When looking up information regarding contact mics, I found that people use them frequently for recording drums. I found this video which was helpful:




2. Video


Option A) An abstract generative visual that translates the drum hits into coloured forms and light. I would take inspiration from Camille Utterback and find a way to create a cumulative visual that combines all of the users' movements over time. 


Option B) An experimental video with a narrative that unfolds as the user plays the drums. I would focus on themes of anticipation, time, and folklore to match the rest of the piece.


Option C) A video of a static character (a Dancing Devil inspired by my papercraft project) that begins to dance each time the drum is hit. The user is encouraged to make the character’s dance seem fluid by playing a rhythmic beat. 




3. Presentation Modes


Option A) Using the built-in projectors from the Space-In-Between Gallery or the Closet Gallery to project my visual. I would place the drums in front of the projector and illuminate them with a gentle spotlight.


Option B) Mount the bongos on the wall so that the skins are facing the viewer. I would use TouchDesigner or MaxMSP to map the projection meaningfully over the drums. 



My Next Steps


I look forward to sharing this concept with my classmates and instructor. Based on their feedback, I will choose more specific options regarding sensors, video, and presentation modes.


Comments

Popular Posts